The Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County was founded in 1896. The Society has four historic structures, plus a Visitor’s Center:
The Governor John Wood Mansion, 425 State Street, is the centerpiece of the campus. Purchased by the Society in 1907, the home was saved and turned into a museum thanks to strong community support. In 1982, again with public support, the Mansion was restored to the time period of Governor Wood’s residency. Visitors can tour the 1835 Greek Revival home and imagine what life was like in the 19th century. Ticket prices: $8-adults; $4-students/children ages 6-18. Children under 6 are free. Also, HSQAC members may tour all campuses and historic sites free of charge.
In 2002, an 1835 two-story log cabin was relocated to the campus. The building is used for educational purposes. Visitors are invited to view the cabin and adjacent pioneer herb gardens.
The Livery, located to the north of the Mansion, contains a number of items from the Society’s collection including memorial tablets containing names of Quincy’s founders, the city’s first fire pumper and ice manufacturing tools.
Also located on the campus is the Visitor’s Center constructed in 1986 to hold the collection of the Historical Society. The Center serves as the hub for the Society’s daily operations, also housing the offices of the executive director and research librarian. The collection is available to members free of charge; others wishing to research their family history or conduct scholarly research may pay an hourly fee to access the collection.
In 2011, the former Quincy Public Library building at 332 Maine came under the umbrella of the Society. The building and contents were donated to the Society by the board of the Gardner Museum of Architecture and Design. The building, now known as the History Museum, features rotating exhibits about the role Quincy and Adams County have played in history. Permanent exhibits include the Stained Glass Gallery and Quincy, City of Mormon Refuge. The Washington Square interactive exhibit and Edward Everett Gallery were dedicated in 2017. There is no admission charge to tour the History Museum; however, donations are suggested.
Also in the building is the History Museum Gift Shop with many books and gifts having a local connection.